Friday, January 3, 2014

Lewis/Tolkien Blog Party!

And now, for something a bit different!

My dear friends Aspirer and Peregrin invited me to a blog party, in which we discuss some of our favorite authors, the great J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis! Now, bearing in mind that I've only read the Middle Earth trilogy once (and that happened to be while I was 12) and I'm only half-way through Narnia, I'm probably going to be basing most of my opinions on the movies, and what my dad has told me from his immense Tolkien knowledge. 

And so! Without further ado...

Favorite character from Lord of the Rings?

Ain't he just flawless?
Legolas. Because he's simply fabulous. 

And because I can relate to him in a way I can't with any other character, particularly in his relationship with Gimli. He's prejudiced against all dwarves in the beginning of the tale, but by the end he had grown very fond of him (he even lived with him after the quest, for gosh sakes) I think that I'm very like that. There's some people that I just can't like when I first meet them, yet over time I've learned not to judge a book by its cover and not be so quick to hate people. 

Favorite character from Narnia?

Goodness. How can I pick? Can I have 2? Because its really a tie between Eustace Clarence Scrubb (because I also relate to his tale of brat-gone-right) and Susan, because she's completely tough and smart and sensible and beautiful...basically everything I want to be when I grow up. 

Favorite scene from Lord of the Rings?

The final stand between the Gondorian army and the forces of Mordor when Sam and Frodo are trying to sneak up to Mount Doom...because it's just so heart-wrenching. I mean...*sigh* Aragorn & co are hopelessly outnumbered, they've already faced so much, and they're basically only a distraction. They're pretty much doomed to fail. AND YET. Frodo and Sam the Awesome finally destroy the ring and GOOD TRIUMPHS OVER EVERY BAD THING *throws confetti everywhere* And besides, who can forget that finally call to fight from the very heart of Aragorn.... <3

*cries like Lucy*
Favorite scene from Narnia?
When Aslan wakes all the Narnians from their White Witch-induced coma-of-sorts. I just love the idea that God (Aslan) isn't controlled by the rules of evil, and not even death itself is beyond his reign. 

Which one did you read first? Is one especially “ingrained” in your memories of childhood as something iconic? 

I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy first, but...that's kind of an...embarrassing memory. *cringe* When I read it, I had the hugest crush on Legolas, so I read it mostly for him. Read it all in a month. But I did love it. I'm dying to read them again, but I don't...have...much time, in the near future *sigh*

Which soundtrack do you enjoy more?

Lord of the Rings. 

Because Howard Shore. 

He does a beautiful, flawless, stirring, absolutely perfect job in capturing the very essence of the Tolkien-ness of the movies, and I don't' think anyone else could have done a better job. 

Favorite quote from each?

Because it's true <3
I don't actually have a favorite quote from the Narnia books...but I do have one from the movies...
"...Try me."


What do you think about the movie versions of them?  Pros and cons, final judgment?

As I've said, I can't really make a legit and informed judgement  on the LOTR movies, so I think I'll just say that I love them. And as far as I can tell, they aren't as...scandalously far from the book as...the recent Hobbit movies...but...I digress. As for the Narnia movies, I'm just going to say that the old BBC adaptations were absolutely HORRIBLE (horrific, terrifying, boring, a royal pain, and downright BAD (even if they did follow the books almost to the letter, I DON'T CARE, THEY'RE STILL BAD IN THE LAMEST OF LAME DEGREES)) so I'm just  going to go off the newest adaptations. DISCLAIMER: I'm on of those freaks of nature who can be an ardent fan of a book and still love the movie, even if it isn't faithful in the minutest degrees (as in the case of the Hobbit movies...which I happen to love) (Except for the case of the 4th Anne of Green Gables movie...I STILL REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT WAS A REAL THING. NOPE.) So I actually like the new Narnia movies. I think the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was charming. Absolutely loved the casting...(I'm in even more love with Mr. Tumnus now because James McAvoy...*le sigh*) and the scenery...and the effects. But I can't stand the final battle. Nope. Nopers. Nope. Ugh. But I can understand that they needed a huge "final stand in a great, wide field for the movie, but whatever. Still don't like it.) I also happen to like Prince Caspian (He's such a dream, in the book and movie... <3 ) AND the Voyage of the Dawn Treader (even though they both didn't follow the books, I'm on of those weird people who can watch a movie as a plain movie and not as a book adaptation and like it)...and I happen to be super excited that they're finally making a Silver Chair (yay!) 

Final Judgement: Better-than-average modern adaptations that hold a charm of their own, but that can't hold up to the books...as usual. 



Most valuable lessons from both?

Lord of the Rings: No matter what the odds are, you should alwaysalwaysalways fight for what you believe in, and for what is right. Good will always win if you believe in it. 

Narnia: Loyalty, forgiveness, faith, love, passion, and belief are the most necessary parts of life; without them, you are a brainless, timid squirrel of a nothing. 

Which three characters would you enjoy having supper with and why?

Can I pleasepleaseplease have supper with Legolas, Boromir and Susan? Because that would probably be the most epic show of personalities ever. 

If you could ask any two characters (from either works) one questions, what would they be?

"Dear Sam, after all the great adventures you had been on, did you like being Mayor for so long? Or was there a little, teeny part of you that wanted to go sneak behind enemy lines and be all heroic again?"

"Eustace, how did your perspective on this normal, non-magical world change after your conversion?"

What aspect of humanity that CS Lewis writes about do you most appreciate? 

In every single one of his works, he writes about us fallen people with a completely pure honesty. The fear and curiosity of Ransom in the Space Trilogy perfectly mirrors our attitudes whenever we experience something new and strange to us. The initial refusal of Peter and Susan to believe Lucy's fantabulous tale is pretty much an everyday trap that us skeptical persons tend to fall into. Lewis is able to analyze and convey the human situation beautifully, and that's something that I absolutely love. 

Which of his works is your favorite, and why?

My favorite of Lewis's works would have to be The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. It's incredibly beautiful in its complexity, yet wonderfully simple, in a way I think holds a certain charm that sets it apart from any of his other works. Whenever I read it, I feel like I actually *am* Lucy; I can actually feel the fear, the wonder, and the joy that she did, which never ceases to infinitely charm me. 

4 comments:

  1. This was awesome. <3 Beautiful. The Legolas part made me laugh out loud. So true. xD And. The "try me" quote. BEST. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS. So much. I had so much fun with this whole party thing, and reading your answers literally made me laugh out loud and nod because I knowww. One thing I'll have to warn you about, though... Susan will make you sad in The Last Battle. Anyway, keep up all your amazing work! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Midnight! I followed you here from Peregrin's blog, so it's all her fault. ;) I have always loved that moment of the movie, too, when the Professor smiles and says "Try me"! Did you know Lewis based The Professor off of Tolkien?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't! That's super cool! Thanks for telling me :)

      Delete